Devoutly Davao

Real life experience and honest to goodness opinion and advise on living in Davao City.
(What other Travel Blogs won't tell.)

Sunday, February 22

Not a Davaoanian by blood but by heart.

I first came to Davao City (Philippines) in 2001. It was my father and stepmother who convinced me to try living in Davao when I told them my plans of pursuing my degree. It cracked the hell out of me when they mentioned Davao as at that time the terrorist gang of Abu Sayyaf is at its peak of kidnapping and bombarding establishments in Mindanao that no ignorant Luzonians (like how I was) would dare to enter the South then. But my folks were serious and they said it's different in Davao City...It is safer.

Long story short, I came, I saw, I conquered...my fears that is : ) Although my first few years here wasn't really as free as a bird that I could fly anywhere I'd want to. My father forbid me to go anywhere outside of Davao City. Since he know I'm not that familiar yet with the place then he said, "if you're in doubt ask who's the Mayor of the place and if it's not Mayor Duterte then don't go". I was also refrained to go to malls, which was my haven when bored or depressed, and at one point I was even disallowed to attend the mass on a Sunday as my father received an intelligence report that there was a threat to bombard churches in Mindanao.

I may have not like it much at the beginning but it wasn't really that bad. Davaoanians compared to Manilenyos are friendlier and more corteous. When in Greater Manila Area I do not wear real gold jewelry and any of my expensive watches. Also, I bring my 6510 Nokia phone rather than the N70 so that if it get snatched it wouldn't hurt much. In Davao it's not quite like that. I could wear gold jewelry, expensive watch, and even bring my N70 around with confidence. I think it is because more law enforcers patrol around Davao City than in Manila that crime rate in the former is significantly lower than the latter.

Cost of living is also cheaper here than in Manila. I remember when my family and I went for a vacation at my relatives in Luzon (North) for a couple of weeks and one fine day my Aunt recieved the water bill and out of curiosity I asked her how much it was. She said, "P2,600". I gasped and said, "What?! You have a pool here or something?!". I mean the water supply in their place is not even 24 hours. It's like they get a supply of water at 4AM and then down at 12 noon onwards.

I could never live in a place where water supply is limited. Water and electricity are necessities in life that I couldn't live without. But these are not a problem in Davao. In fact, water and electricity failure are rarely a problem here. Also, electricity and water bill here are way lower than if we'll live in Manila. We're a family of 3 and a yaya and our water bill never hit more than P150.00 monthly and our electricity bill would only range from P1,200-1,500 a month and we run the room airconditioner almost every night for 10-12 hours plus other appliances which include 10 cubic feet non-frost ref, TV, DVD, and PC among others.

Although Malls in Davao City are not as huge and lavish than that of Manila's I chose to reside here with my family. Lower cost of living, nicer people, and cleaner environment could be ones of the main reasons why I stayed but I think it's more of finding my self here. For me, home is where I feel safe and where your heart is. I may not be a Davaoanian by blood but I am Davaoanian by heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment